If you LOVE quick and easy desserts…get excited.
Because this recipe is going to BLOW YOUR MIND.
Best part of all? It takes FIVE minutes to make.
Yup. NO. OVEN. REQUIRED.
Let me guess…NOW you’re excited
I came up with this little gem of an idea while rummaging through the cupboards last night desperately trying to find some recipe inspiration. Instead, all I found were a couple of sad-looking bananas, an almost empty container of almond milk, a few spoonfuls of flour, and the depressing realization that I needed to do some serious grocery shopping this weekend.
But I was still in the mood for a healthy, yet totally DECADENT treat.
That’s when I had an epiphany.
Single-serving microwave cake.
This cake is SO good…even non-vegans will DEVOUR it. I promise.
As soon as I took this gooey, chocolaty dessert out of the microwave, I hardly had enough time to glaze it and take a picture before the boyfriend gobbled it up. He even went as far as to say it’s the BEST dessert he’s ever had–and this is coming from a guy who’s not crazy about dessert in general!
All I can say is, good thing I made two so I could keep one for myself
So what are you waiting for? GET BAKING!
- 1/4 cup of spelt flour or other whole wheat flour (I like spelt flour because it has only moderate amounts of gluten and it can be tolerated by those who have wheat allergies and/or a wheat sensitivities. However, it is NOT gluten-free and NOT suitable for those with celiac disease)
- a little under 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 packets of stevia (1/2 teaspoon) or 1 teaspoon of another natural sweetener
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of natural maple flavor
- 1 teaspoon of Earth Balance (or any non-dairy buttery spread– I actually prefer to NOT use any butter and add a heaping teaspoon of natural, no sugar added applesauce instead, but my boyfriend–who isn’t a fan of low-fat desserts– LOVED the texture of the cake with the Earth Balance better. It’s totally up to you! One teaspoon isn’t that much anyway.)
- 1/2 of a medium-sized and VERY ripe organic banana, chopped
- About 2 teaspoons of mini chocolate chips (I like dairy free, nut, and soy free Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add in the wet ingredients–including the banana and chocolate chips.
- Mix until blended but do not over-mix.
- Spray a small bowl, or ramekin (anything roughly 1-cup in size) with an all-natural non-stick spray (I’m sure a coffee mug would work, but you may have to cook it few seconds longer)
- Pour batter in the small bowl and microwave on high for about 2 minutes (depending on your microwave’s strength, your cake may need to cook a little longer. The top of the cake should give a little when you press down on it and should not be overly sticky/gooey on top).
- While your cake is cooking…you can whip up the glaze! (See below)
Creamy Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of organic, all-natural powdered sugar (natural maple sugar and coconut sugar will also do– if you don’t have powdered sugar, just blend regular sugar in a blender for a minute or so until it turns to powder).
- 3 teaspoons of all-natural cocoa powder (I use the Trader Joe’s brand)
- 2 teaspoons of almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- Mix all the glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Slip a knife down around the cake to loosen it from the bowl, turn it over and pop it out onto a plate.
- Pour you glaze ALL OVER your Five-Minute Chocolate, Maple, Banana Cake.
- EAT YOUR FACE OFF.
P.S. Technically I categorized this as a dessert…but seeing as it’s the weekend and all…if you really want to eat it for breakfast, I won’t tell